23 October 2009

Life's a Total Drag, Man



Hello dear reader.

Life is full of experiences. Some of them are pretty out there. Last night was one of such trippy experiences.

I attended a drag show. And I don't mean drag racing.

I mean "drag" as in drag queens and drag kings. I.e. cross-dressers. (Or "okama" for you weeaboos out there.)

Last night, I attended my college's first annual drag show. It was organized by the school GSA and other groups and the event was named "Kings & Queens: It's a Drag Affair". I've heard of drag shows among the LGBT community, and aside from watching transvestites on "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" and "One Piece", I've never been to one. For those of you who frown upon the very idea, I'll just tell you two things: We have the freedom to express ourselves, and that Bugs Bunny was often in drag and nobody made a fuss over it. Moving on...

There wasn't a program with a list of all of the performers, and my short-term memory is horrible, so I couldn't type up anything detailed, but I can offer a brief synopsis of what went on last night:

I entered the show, and it started at around 6:30 PM (there was a delay). Numerous technical difficulties aside, the show was quite interesting. Not only were there men out there in drag, there were also "kings" performing (women in "drag" as men), and they all performed quite well. Two of my classmates performed and did quite well. There were both "Amateur" and "Professional" divisions, yet they were all pretty great. One of the amateur "kings" performing was very convincing, and "he" ended up winning the title of King. The performer's name? "Logan Trap". Heh.

The Queen award was given to "Trinity", a trio of dancers who performed Beyonce's "Sasha Fierce" routines, including "Single Ladies". There were also a "Prince" and "Princess" awards handed out, and door prizes to the audience who had winning tickets. I didn't win any door prizes. But, I DID win a free drink token to a local bar in Atlanta named "Mary's" (had to be carded prior to winning the token). Problem is, I rarely drink. Who wants a free drink token?

In the end, I had fun. It was a bit alien and trippy for me, but I enjoyed what I saw. It's not exactly like "The Rocky Horror Picture Show", but it's equally as strange and musical. Two noted guests were the MC, "Miss Terra Cotta Sugarbaker", and the guest judge, V-103's "Miss Sophia". I had my picture taken with the latter, and she was quite nice. I took an insane amount of pictures and they can all be viewed above. Will there be another show next year? I'm not sure, but I'm looking forward to it. The show was quite fabulous for only five dollars.

Enjoy the pictures and have a safe weekend.

siggy 2009